My Personal Christian Blog

Thanks for sliding into my blog site. This blog bog is a spin-off from my website at http://www.niteowldave.com/. Call me a Night Owl, as my full-time mission and hobby are jabbering from midnight until 8 a.m.ish with chatter bugs across the world. Hoot, hoot! Being a retired newspaper guy and a Curious George, I've written and assembled a whack of stuff that I hope you'll find interesting and thought-provoking. Check out the Stories bar on the right side, below, for all my articles - from my web site and this blog.




April 3, 2013

Do good people make it to Heaven?


If I live a good, clean, respectable life will I not surely make it to Heaven? This is the common belief of humanity, but it is wrong.

Proverbs 14:12 says, "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof is the way of death."

It is unbiblical for two reasons to think that we can earn our way to Heaven.

First, it makes salvation something we merit or earn. It obligates God. He then owes it to us. Salvation is by grace, or unmerited favor, according to Ephesians 2: 8-9. 


Second, when God looks at that kind of person He sees their past sins. Ecclesiastes 3:15 says, “God requireth that which is past."

God does not look at us, as we are presently, but He sees our life from the cradle to the grave.
 

Romans 5:6 says we are without the strength to save ourselves. Salvation cannot be by works; if so, then man could boast. Ephesians 2:9 points out, "Not by works lest any man should boast."

Quitting our sins is very good and will likely make us a better person in society, but it will not take away one past sin you have committed.

These sins must be taken away before you can be saved. 1John 1:7 says only the blood of Christ can cleanse you from sin.

People who live good lives, depending on that to save them, will never make it; but their judgment in eternity and the penalty will be less. Revelation 20:11 says, "Every man shall be judged according to their works."

Are you depending on yourself or Christ for salvation? He alone can save. This is why He is called "Savior" in Luke 2:11 and other places.