My Personal Christian Blog

Thanks for sliding into my blog site. This blog bog is a spin-off from my website at http://www.niteowldave.com/. Call me a Night Owl, as my full-time mission and hobby are jabbering from midnight until 8 a.m.ish with chatter bugs across the world. Hoot, hoot! Being a retired newspaper guy and a Curious George, I've written and assembled a whack of stuff that I hope you'll find interesting and thought-provoking. Check out the Stories bar on the right side, below, for all my articles - from my web site and this blog.




June 23, 2017

THE ROLE OF GOOD WORKS



By Harold Smith

QUESTION: It seems that in your articles you do not believe in good works. If you don’t maintain good works, do you think you will still be saved?

ANSWER: This is an old question that keeps popping up all the time. I do not believe that salvation is by faith AND works, but I do believe that salvation results in good works! 

That is, there will be some fruit or evidence of it in the lives of those who claim to have salvation.

Salvation is an act of the sovereign grace of God. God doesn’t owe us anything. But because He is merciful and gracious, He has provided a great salvation for us through His atoning blood.

We are saved to work. Romans 4:4 says, “Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.”

Romans 11: 6 says, “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”

The above verses make it very clear that if it is by works than it is no more grace. These two do not mix. However, if you have a kind of profession that does not work, then you are not likely to have God’s salvation.

It is not of works, but it works in you.  It transforms your life from the inside out.
Romans 1:16 says, “It is God’s power unto salvation to everyone that believeth.”