My Personal Christian Blog

Thanks for sliding into my blog site. This blog bog is a spin-off from my website at http://www.niteowldave.com/. Call me a Night Owl, as my full-time mission and hobby are jabbering from midnight until 8 a.m.ish with chatter bugs across the world. Hoot, hoot! Being a retired newspaper guy and a Curious George, I've written and assembled a whack of stuff that I hope you'll find interesting and thought-provoking. Check out the Stories bar on the right side, below, for all my articles - from my web site and this blog.




January 20, 2009

Christians should expect persecution

There are promises in the word of God that don't seem much like promises to some folks.

For instance, this one: "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

That means all whose purpose to live godly lives in this present world shall (certainly) suffer persecution, as did their Lord.


Maybe we contemplate such verses and think they should say something different: perhaps something like, "And all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall be appreciated for their goodness and rewarded with approval, good health and fortune."

There is Paul's statement to the Philippians that declares, "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake."


Perhaps we would be more comfortable if that were to read, "For unto you it is given...not only to believe on him, but also to be blessed with health, wealth and prosperity."

But it doesn't say that; it says what it says.

--Dick York (Missionary, conference speaker, missionary trainer, author)